Coaststeering

Coaststeering

The dust flew from under my feet as I slid down the steep hill, tightly holding onto the old rope beside me. Our instructor was passing around a black, shiny, dusty bit of what looked like plastic. Everyone had passed around or taken a bite of the random item and we were told it was a shark egg. After lots of walking our group made it to a small pool of water. I stood on the rock covered in rough barnacles, and next minute I was in the ice cold water. We were shown where lava and water meet, in this cave area. Our group had made our way through echoing caves and we had walked on rocks above crashing waves. The cold water and slimy seaweed surrounded me as I treed-ed the water. Avoiding the barnacles and belly flop competitions was my main focus. We made our way back to the rocky shore and we struggled back up the dusty hill to the car. We arrived back to very enthusiastic instructors yelling out instructions of how to clean our gear. Wet-suits, helmets, and life jackets were all clean and it was time to head back to the camp.